Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers

For Mother's Day I made my mom a DVD of all of the kids and grandkids. I thought I would just put together a few pictures and it turned out to be 40 minutes. (Remind anyone of the volleyball videos?) Anyway, while I was looking for music I found this song by Carnie Wilson and I really liked it. These last few weeks Dave has been out of town and I was feeling that I am not doing anything really significant with my life. I have been cleaning up a lot of throw-up and poop - that is in addition to the usual diaper changing. I have been making not-so-healthy meals (I could be in a study on whether kids can survive on dino-nuggets and mac & cheese). And I have yelling so much that I expect a policeman to show up on my doorstep for disturbing the peace. On top of that, someone in my ward stood up and was talking about sitting behind a woman who was having trouble controlling two or three young kids and he thought, "great, I guess I am not going to get much out of this meeting". Yes, it was me!! He went on to make a point, but I don't remember what it was, I was just thinking of what a loser I am. This song just makes me think how insignificant all the little small things are. So if Chloie isn't wearing matching socks, or Cassidy's nose is a"ucky" as she calls it, or my dishes didn't get done - it doesn't really matter. My job is to love them and help them become good people. Anyway, it just made me feel good about being a mother.

5 comments:

Do the Dew said...

Frankie, you are so great! I love the blog! It makes me feel like we're sitting there talking and i'm laughing my head off as usual. And just for the record i think you're a great mother! luv ya, Louise

Helen said...

I never knew Carnie Wilson could make me cry.

Michelle Lewis Trane said...

How true. Sometimes I think I worry too much about the non important things and forget what is really important, and that is loving your children and spending time with them. Sometimes that can be that hardest part!!

Nina and Ryan said...

Thank you for sharing that song--it is beautiful!! And I'd have to agree with Wendy--I also think you are a great mother!!

Eric and Jackie said...

I agree with everyone else you are an amazing mom who has 3 (amazing) kids under the age of 4, who are brilliant and could beat most people in tennis! I admire you.
But you are right it is hard to feel like you are actually contributing to you kids' well being when some days all it seems you are doing is cleaning, cooking, dressing, changing diapers, bathing, grocery shopping, discipling and much more. That song was great, thanks for sharing!