Monday, June 23, 2008

Turning 40

For my 40th birthday Dave threw me a surprise party. It was a lot of fun to have him do the organizing instead of me. Thanks to all of you that came to the party! It was definitely memorable. Remember when you were 20 - thinking all those 40-year-olds were practically in the grave? Now that I am 40, I look at those who are 20 and think they seem like they are 12. The truth is, 40 isn't as bad as I thought it might be, but I have noticed in the last couple of years I have really started to slow down. Of course, I don't know if has more to do with age or the three young kids. (Although I am leaning towards the kids.) Anyway, for those approaching the dreaded 40, here's my advice. When you get to be about 37, start telling people you are almost 40. Then, by the time you actually turn 40, it seems like you have been there for a while and is it less painful. And by that I don't literally mean less painful. Believe me, every year (or should I say day) I get older my body is feeling more pain. Another idea - take up tennis. On my league team, I think I am the youngest. So even though I am slow, I can still hang in there.

4 comments:

Andrea said...

Oh yes! Happy birthday Stephanie! Very encouraging to read. I just turned 31. Can you believe it? That was really nice of your husband. I'm glad you had a good time. I miss everyone. Tell everyone hi for me.

Michelle Lewis Trane said...

Happy Birthday. I'm a looser sister in law. We have been caught up in our own little world the last little while. I hope you had a great day. Way to go Dave for the party!

Eric and Jackie said...

Happy Birthday! Wish we could've been there to celebrate it with you. I can't believe your 40 not that that is old, but you just still seem 32 to me. I miss you and your stories and your cute kids.

Do the Dew said...

FRANKIE! happy birthday! i didn't forget, i'm just a loser and haven't done anything. i have been thinking bout you though. that's awesome dave threw a party for you. if anyone deserves it, you do. i just wish i could have been there. we'll just have to do los hermanos or spaghetti factory when i get home to celebrate :) ps. you're still 27 to me. miss ya